Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What would we do without you...

Just wanted to say how incredibly GRATEFUL I am for all the friends and family who have helped us make it through the past week and days to come. I truly don't know how we would do it without all the prayers, meals, e-mails, cards, phone calls, helps with rides, etc.

My hubby has risen to a level I have never seen. I knew he was a great Dad, but he has exceeded my expectations in being an AMAZING Nurse too. He has cared for my EVERY need for several days straight. He gets me in and out of the recliner, covers me with blankets, walks me to the bathroom, brushes my hair, wakes in the middle of the night to give me my medication, etc. It has made me fall more and more in love him. Nothing is sexier than a man who is willing to serve you when you are at your weakest.


Yesterday (Monday) was a BIG day for me. I was able to get out of the recliner by myself for the first time in days. I had my first post-op appt and got my drains removed...was so scared about that procedure, but it turned out much less painful than I anticipated (PTL!). And the best news of all was that I was able to take my first shower in 5 days! My precious Mom stayed with me and helped me get in and out of the shower and then dried and straightened my hair for me. Oooooh, it felt SO GOOD to freshen up and get my hair done. I was afraid birds were going to start nesting in my hair before long!


Today is my first day to be alone all day. I think I'm going to be okay. I still walk like an elderly woman, but I can get up and down by myself now. Still no bending or lifting. My dirty floors are driving my banana's...but, I'm trying to let it go. I can finally sit in a normal chair for a short bit without killing my incision area. I do have lots of back pain, not sure if it's from sleeping in a recliner or from the way I have to walk bent over. Either way, I'm sure it will subside soon.
I get my sutures out this Thursday....little nervous about that as my belly button feels very sensitive, lots of nerve endings. That's where the hernia was repaired. Still a bit swollen.


I went and looked at some pre-pictures we took...it reassured me that I have definitely done the right thing. That belly button was crazy looking! I'm actually going to have a normal belly button again...don't think I have seen one of those since before having Owen, maybe even before Ella. The hernia distorted it in a really funky way.


I have to give a shout out to modern medicine, and the ability to give a Mom of Four a second chance at normalcy. My surgeon is a wonderful Christian Man who has taken very good care of me. After three long years of struggling with all of this, it is so relieving to know that the worst is behind me. Healing and restoration are my future. Praise be to God who is our ultimate Healer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful news katie....i'm so pleased and happy for you... : ) love you....

Dion said...

It's wonderful that you are surrounded by so many caring people. I hope your healing is speedy.

Dion said...

Katie, the "sushi" was rice krispies, twizzlers, gummi worms and fruit leather. Here's a link: http://mommyknows.com/birthday-party-candy-sushi/

Also, Family Fun magazine has it in their archives.

It was fun and messy. Your big kids are at the perfect age to make the rolls. My little girls didn't yet have the coordination.