Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Fitting Prayer

I was doing my morning Bible Reading from the Asbury Prayer Journal and came across this Psalm. I was so moved by it as it is such a FITTING PRAYER! I put in ( )'s some personal footnotes.

A Psalm of David.
1I call upon you, O Lord; come quickly to me; give ear to my voice when I call to you.
2Let my prayer be counted as incense before you (help me pray for YOUR WILL to be done rather than my own), and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.
3Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips (Give me the Fruit of the Spirt of Self Control...and along with that some love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness & faithfulness).
4Do not turn my heart to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with those who work iniquity; do not let me eat of their delicacies (help me monitor what I watch on T.V., read in literature, listen to on the radio, and see at the Theatre...help me choose things that honor You..."whatever you do, do as unto the Lord").
5Let the righteous strike me; let the faithful correct me (help me to humble myself and take instruction and direction). Never let the oil of the wicked anoint my head, for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds (help me be set apart...to be in the world, but not of it).
6When they are given over to those who shall condemn them, then they shall learn that my words were pleasant (may my words be Your Word).
8But my eyes are turned towards You, O God, my Lord (I fix my eyes on You in all that I do, say, think); in You I seek refuge; do not leave me defenseless (fill me with Your Holy Spirit).

2 comments:

@nnie said...

Just took note of this quote by Beth Moore yesterday: "I am utterly convinced that the two major weapons with divine power in our warfare are the Word of God and Spirit-empowered prayer." I love how you turned the scripture into a very personal prayer.... Amen sister!

Ro said...

Love this!